Friday, March 23, 2012

How to prune pampas grass the easy way, without the mess!

Spring is a wonderful time of the year. We rejoice with flowering fruit/ornamental trees and smile to see daffodils and hyacinths blooming. Our neighbors have their gardens tilled and ready to plant. Everyone who owns property has some type of yard work that needs to be tended to. Life is fresh and new again.

Our son Nathan with our neighbor’s pampas grass in background. We transplanted some of this pampas grass into our backyard a few years ago.

Cotaderia selloana, commonly known as pampas grass, is a tall grass native to South America and was introduced to North America, Europe and Australia as an ornamental grass. Pampas grass grows in dense tussocks that can reach a height of 9.8 feet. Each plant is able to produce over one million seeds during its lifetime! The long slender leaves are green most of the year, but they go dormant during the winter. We leave our pampas grass alone in it’s dormant state because it is lovely all year. In the spring we cut it down so that it can start all over. Isn’t that what spring is all about?

Anyone who cares for pampas grass understands that it does require pruning each year. This year my husband Stanley came up with a brilliant idea to make the job a bit easier and more tidy.

For this tidy, easy method of pruning pampas grass and removal, the tools needed are:

  1. Strapping tape
  2. Chain saw
  3. Pickup
  4. Rake

Use strapping tape to wind around individual tussocks of pampas grass.
Use a chain saw to cut pampas grass off near the ground. Use the reverse side (or the top side) of the chain saw to prevent it from plugging up.
Because the tussocks were bundled with strapping tape, the pampas grass doesn’t fall all over the place while you are cutting it. 
A pile of strapping taped bundles of pampas grass.
Pampas grass loaded in an antique pickup truck.
My husband Stanley (left) took charge of the pampas grass job, pictured with my neighbor Duane (right) who mows our lawn—it got it’s first cut today!
Actually, the easiest part of the project is if your only role is photographer, ha!

Happy spring! As you prune out what is dead, may this be a season you recognize God’s many blessings in your life and keep Him first in your future. I pray you enjoy His creation and share your faith this spring by planting seeds to nourish and bless those in your life.

Need inspiration? Read John 15.

4 comments:

  1. good review. Informative and interesting which we share with you so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts. My favorite feature of this chainsaw is the automatic oiler system and a tool-less chain tensioning system for quick and fast chain adjustments. I am tiring the same best work from me in the future as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your post. Informative and interesting which we share with you so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts. I am tiring the same best work from me in the future as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this useful guide. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m impressed, I must say. you hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts here